Thursday, December 4, 2008

What Magic Exists in Your World, Thora?

So today, Thora and I have been playing this game where she pretends that any sound she hears from our living room is a goat or an owl. In her mind today, these animals are the two most likely suspects for the noises coming from our upstairs neighbors, the car horns or truck engines outside, our dog lying down with a thump underneath the computer table, etc. In her mind, we now live in a barn, occupied solely by goats and owls.

Later this morning, as we were getting ready to leave the house, she repeatedly said something that I couldn't figure out but sounded like "apple pie?" I said to her, "Are you saying 'apple pie?'" "Yeah," she says. "But you don't even know what apple pie is?" We never really got to the bottom of this, because many little distractions happened, who knows what, and the topic was dropped.

Then, today, while I was feeding her lunch, we heard a car beep its horn outside. "What was that noise?" I ask. "Was it a car?" But she says, "No. Goat. Mahhhh... mahhhh." "It was a goat?" I ask, and she says, "No. Ow-ell, ow-ell. Oooh oooh." "It was an owl?" And she says, "No. Booo booo." "It was a cow?" I ask... It goes on like this for another 3 or 4 dozen animals, until the last one when I say, "Was that a kitty cat?" and she says, "No. Apple Pie." "Apple Pie? That noise that sounded just like a car horn was an apple pie?" "Yeah," she said, without any hesitation. What magical entity might "apple pie" be in Thora's imagination? I feel like it could be all Willy Wonka in there or Dr. Suess. If only we could know what's going on between those ears of hers.

No comments: