Friday, December 12, 2008

Holiday Shopping

I am so compelled to hype all the great gifts I've been finding for friends and family this year, many of which are green. Except that my readers consist almost entirely of friends and family. I don't want to spill the beans and so will post about some of the big hits after the gifts have been opened. But I can say this: I've fallen hard for Etsy.com, a site that hosts artists, crafters, designers, etc., and their products. As someone with a creative impulse, I feel a connection to these artists, posting their art, jewelry, clothing, and I'm happy to support them.

And it was on Etsy that I stumbled upon this gem, the instructions for building your own child's play kitchen out of cardboard. Check out the link here. The materials are recycled cardboard (I'm going to the Trader Joe's on Monday to collect some of their broken-down boxes), hot glue, wire hangers from the dry cleaners, and some other odds and ends for detailing, making this is a very post-consumer waste, eco-friendly piece of play equipment. I hope to get the odds and ends this weekend, the cardboard on Monday, and to start building next week. This is one of Thora's Christmas gifts. And for as much as she's wanted to be apart of the kitchen activities, I'm hoping that this will encourage her kitchen play. I'll definitely post my progress and final product. So stay tuned.

No comments: