Saturday, August 30, 2008

Our New Garden

Yesterday, my upstairs neighbor Carl, and I broke ground on our garden. There are plants growing or trying to grow in our back yard. However, with a couple big trees that block a lot of sunlight and rainfall, the yard looks sub par. So we've taken it up. The research phase came to an end when on Saturday we headed to the nursery and purchased some flowers to fill the one area in the yard that gets a good amount of sun. This is part 1 of our back yard makeover. More to come in the spring, including my own container vegetable garden. But for now, here's what we've done.

Sunny Garden Plot Before:


Sunny Garden Plot After:


In the front of the fence we have a small bed of black eyed susans. Then in the small, 7'x4' plot we have echinacea, phlox, along with two other types of blooming plants as well as a tall, ornamental grass in the back corner. (We bought these on a whim and I need to look again at the names on the containers they came in.) I also have some campanula on the stairs in containers that I'd like to get in the ground. More pictures to come as our garden grows.

No comments: