Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Farmer's Market Bounty: Yellow and Red Brandywines


Even though we bought tomatoes at the farm stand at Verrill Farm over the weekend, I couldn't resist splurging at our Central Square Farmer's Market on Monday with these two Brandywine (heirloom) tomatoes, a yellow and a red. I picked up a whole wheat french bagette at Trader Joe's, cut off some slices and brushed them with herbed olive oil. (Basically I just dump rosemary, thyme, sea salt, and pepper into a few tablespoons of olive oil and stir.) I put these slices under the broiler for just a couple minutes, until they're lightly browned (or not so lightly since I always forget about them) and then top with the sliced tomatoes. These Brandywines were so flavorful, they didn't need the typical basil and mozzerella that often accompany sliced tomatoes in our house. Sean and I devoured these. Honestly, I can't wait for Monday, when I will pick two new heirloom tomatoes and we'll do this all over again. This makes an easy and tasty appetizer while we're cooking dinner. Although, had I made up more, we probably wouldn't have needed whatever it was we were cooking.

1 comment:

Leslee said...

YUM! Sarah, I've been meaning to tell you but I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I can't wait to read back someday and apply everything you've mentioned about cloth diapers and recycling baby wipes. Dan and I started a compost bin in honor of Earth Day this year... I can't wait to start a garden to put the dirt we made on!

Have a great weekend,
Leslee