Thursday, August 14, 2008

Farmer's Market Bounty: Radishes & Beer


Well I want to say, who knew? But since I don't really know all that much about all the ways that various foods are used the world over, the answer to that question surely is: Lots of people. And by "lots" I think I may be talking about millions (gazillions?). So, I guess I rephrase this to say: I really wish I knew about this! All you gazillions of people that have been eating raw salted radishes paired with beer, (Germans, I'm looking at you) why didn't you tell me?

Anyway, this past Monday at our local Farmer's Market in Central Square, I was eyeing the blood-pink color of the radishes and thought that for the first time in my life, I might buy some, for salads. Sean and I are always looking for ways to spruce up the salads we have with every single dinner (except when we have pancakes or waffles for dinner). We really like crunch, so we're constantly rotating through carrot/broccoli slaw, soy nuts, croutons, red and yellow peppers and the like. As I was handing over my money (I think $2) I thought to ask how else people might use radishes besides cut up in salads. He told me that people sautee the greens. But I could tell that his heart wasn't really there, until he said, "You know how I really like them? Sliced and salted with beer."

So I wasted no time. There were a couple cold beers in the fridge. There was sea salt in our cabinet. Now there were radishes. I put the baby to bed--not in the middle of the afternoon or anything, but at her regular bedtime--and got to slicing. And the verdict: I LOVE them. They're the slightest bit hot, in the way that wasabi is hot, but only a whisper of wasabi's sinus-clearing punch. And of course, I love the satisfying crunch and savoriness of the sea salt. Sean's comment after trying one was, "Well, I don't hate them." (Since the first taste test, he's gladly had more here and there.) But he did say that he thought one could get a "burning stomach" like he is prone to get when he has raw garlic or raw onion on an empty stomach. I guess that's why you pair them with the beer.

p.s. I am submitting this post to the Farmer's Market Report over on To Every Meal There Is A Season. Check it out here.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I'm going to absolutely try this! I'm with you, WHO KNEW! But shoot, you add beer to anything and it's good, right? :)


I'm hosting a "Farmer's Market Report" Mr. Linky. Maybe you'd like to submit this post? Come on by and check it out: http://toeverymeal.blogspot.com/2008/08/farmers-market-report-aug-16th.html

Kerry said...

Thanks for your submission to the Farmer's Market Report! I'll have the next Report up at 10am on this Sat. - Aug 23rd. Hope to see you again!