Monday, April 14, 2008

Thora Took Her First Steps

Last night we watched as Thora took her first steps! It was so exciting. I'm always surprised at the rush of joy I feel when I watch her do things she couldn't do before. Like putting the shape-finder puzzle piece in the right place. Or pointing to her ears, a word I didn't really expect her to know.

Last night, I came home from the walking the dog to find Thora and Sean on the floor in the living room. Sean said, "Show Mommy how you can stand," and then to me "She can pretty much stand as long as she wants now." We watched her stand and applaud herself, applause that we were happy to echo. And then Sean said, "Let's see if she'll walk between us."

So we sat a few feet apart and walked her back and forth between us. After the first couple trips, we stopped holding on and encouraged her to make the journey of a few steps on her own. At first, she did what she always does, and she fell forward into our arms. But after doing that just a couple times, she lifted up her feet and took 3 steps toward Sean. It was unreal. I couldn't believe that I'd just watched that. Her feet always stay so firmly planted when we let go that I wondered how she'd ever progress. Well, I guess that's how. She just does it.

1 comment:

Summer Ryan Doyle said...

YEAH!!! It's such a great moment for you all. That feeling is just immense.