Monday, October 4, 2010

August Update: 5 favorite photos from our trip to NYC

In August, we made a second summer trip to NYC, this time for a long weekend to coincide with the Bronx Half Marathon, a race that both Sean and I were running. For a look at the whole photo album, click here. We drove down after Sean got off work on a Thursday night. On Friday, we hung out quite a bit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Here we are in a sunlit gallery.


Here's Thora and Sean in the Knight's Armour room.




On Saturday, we spent some time in Central Park for a quick visit with my friend Elizabeth and her family. It was so quick that I failed to get any good pictures of the two of us, or of Thora and Sam playing. Here's a great one, though, after they headed back home, the skyline of the south end of the Park in the background.


Then, from there, we went down to midtown on the East Side, to check out a bike fair they were having, in which they'd closed off all of Park Avenue from Houston all the way up to the 72nd St. There was music, water stations, other vendors, and we stumbled upon this bike company offering free rides on their pretty neat bike--it could be reconfigured to accommodate not just toting kids but 4 other configurations. Here's Sean and Thora taking a spin.


Finally, on Sunday morning, Sean and I woke woke at 5 to begin our trek out to the Bronx for our race. We ran it together, the whole way, which was so fun to do. We've not run together since... I'm not exactly sure. We did some regular runs together back when we lived in NYC, before we had Thora. And I think we may have done one or two runs together since we moved to Cambridge. But normally, running is something that we cram into the open spots in our respective schedules. So it was fun for us to share this experience. We did it in just over 1 hour and 51 minutes. We were strong through the first 10 miles; I set a tough pace, but we seemed to have it in us. But at 10 miles, I felt what I was sure to be a massive blister forming on the bottom of foot and so I stopped to try to fix my sock, and when I stood back up, my hip flexors were done. I felt like I could barely lift by knees to run. Needless to say, it was a painful and depressing final 3 miles. But thankfully Sean was there--with still functioning legs--who dragged us to the finish line. Here we are after the race. My smile is totally fake. The only happiness I was feeling was happiness that it was over.


After the race, we worked our way via subway back to the Upper West Side, where we had a nice brunch with my dad and step-mom and our kids, and then piled in the car and headed back to Cambridge.

No comments: